Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books/Characters that Made Me Swoon



Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish, and today's topic is Books that Made Me Swoon. I'm going to turn this into a list of Literary Crushes, because I haven't posted on them yet (and because I don't really read entirely-romance books).

1. Marius from Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Marius' love letters are the most romantic thing in all of literature. See my post on them HERE. 

2. Captain Wentworth from Persuasion by Jane Austen. Anne and Wentworth make the cutest couple! See my post on Wentworth HERE. 

3. Gilbert Blythe from Anne of Green Gables (etc.) by L. M. Montgomory. He is just so plain decent that I can't help loving him!

4. Nathaniel Bowditch from Carry On, Mr. Bowditch! by John Lee Latham. Apparently he's a real historical figure, so not exactly fictional, but I'm in love with Latham's characterization of him. He's so sweet and nerdy :-)

5. Nathaniel Benson from Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson. Well, I don't know if I still have a crush on him, but I sure did when I read Fever seven years ago. :-) I don't even remember why I liked him... I'll need to give it a reread.

6. Nathaniel Eaton from Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare. Do you see a pattern here with the names? What's with all the Nathaniels? :-)

7. Mr. George Knightly from Emma by Jane Austen. Whoops, forgot this guy. He is the most devoted and caring husband to Emma. He's funny, too! See my post on him HERE.

Ugh ugh ugh I know there are more - I just know it! But I can't think of any more.
Here are a few bonus cute couples, though I wouldn't list the guys as my literary crushes.

8. Mr. Rochester and Jane from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Mr. Rochester isn't exactly the greatest but Jane brings out the good in him.

9. Elinor and Edward Ferrars from Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. Read my post on Edward HERE.

And for 10, I will give you the surefire way for any author to have me fall in love with their male hero.

I will crush on any guy in a book who grins. If he grins, he can't be bad. In my own writing, I never write "bad" characters who grin. They may smile, but they'll never grin. Only the good guys grin. :-)

~Sophia

P.S. My friend just started a blog - she posts pictures of her cake creations. Her latest is ... drumroll please... a book cake. Check it out HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)