Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Happy Birthday, Victor Hugo!




Today is Victor Hugo's 212th birthday. He, as you all probably know, wrote the great masterpiece called Les Miserables. Not only was Hugo a spectacular author, with fantastic descriptions and characterizations that I could go on about forever, but he was also a human rights activist who spoke up for the poor and downtrodden. Les Miserables clearly sprung out of a heart filled with compassion and a desire for social justice.

Surprisingly, I have never gotten around to reading Hugo's other works, such as The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Considering how much I LOVE Les Miserables, it would probably be a good idea for me to read Hunchback at some point.

A little known fact about Hugo is that he also loved to paint and draw. Delacroix said that if Hugo had taken up art instead of writing, he would have been the greatest artist of his time. But instead he became the greatest writer of his time. I guess some people just have it all. 

Here's some examples of his work:

File:Victor Hugo-Bridge.jpg

File:Victor hugo gavroche a 11 ans.jpg
11 y. o. Gavroche from Les Miserables


File:Victor Hugo-Octopus.jpg 




Isn't that awesome?

His final will was made up of five sentences:
"I leave 50 000 francs to the poor. I want to be buried in their hearse.
I refuse funeral orations of all churches. I beg a prayer to all souls.
I believe in God."
Happy, happy birthday, to a spectacular man!

~Sophia

P.S. if you would like to read my posts on Les Miserables, HERE they are.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)