Saturday, October 25, 2014

20 Things You May Not Know About Me


So quite a long time ago I got tagged for this thing, and didn't realize it. Robyn tagged me. (Thank you so much, you awesome person!) Finally, I'm getting around to it. 


1. How tall are you?

5'7". (Or, for you metric people, around 170 cm.)
That's 3 inches taller than the average woman on Earth, and a good 4 inches taller than the average American woman (according to the National Center for Health Statistics, and they sound official, so I'll take their word). So in the eyes of the world, I am Tall.
However, when you narrow down the population to only my household, I am quite a shrimp. My father is 6'4", my mother is 5'11", and my sister is 5'10.5". We remodeled our kitchen a few years back, and it is definitely a tall person's kitchen. I cannot reach the top shelves.
My sister insists I am 5'6.5". Come on, don't exaggerate my shortness. Cut me some slack.

2. Do you have a hidden talent? If so, what?

I never understand this kind of question, because if the talent was truly hidden, why would I know what it was? I am not so humble that I would HIDE my talents. So once I discover a talent, it is no longer hidden. Thus, I don't think I truly have a hidden talent.

However, a talent I'd rather not have is that I am EXCELLENT at forgetting things. I get it from my father. We both get made fun of for it, but at least I can blame him for passing it down to me. He has no one to blame.

 3. What is your biggest blog-related pet peeve?

DISAPPEARING COMMENTS. Usually it's my fault, and not the fault of the comment platform, but STILL. I type a beautifully long comment, and then accidentally refresh the page or click some link, and poof it's gone. Such sadness!

4. What's your biggest non-blog-related pet peeve?

Pessimistic people. Pessimism.
I am most certainly somewhere on the scale between realist and optimist. Don't rain on my logically organized parade, you pessimists!

5. What is your favorite song?

Oh, come on! Really?
I don't have ONE favorite song. Or even one favorite band. Or even one favorite genre. I am totally a mood-listener. Broadway's always a safe bet, as is anything Maroon5. Or Pentatonix. Songs with clever lyrics will also immediately get raised in my opinion, as will songs with logical and sensible lyrics (hard to find). But not having either of these doesn't mean a song is out. I'm easy to please, when it comes to music.

6. What is your favorite Etsy shop that isn't yours?

Uh, I have no Etsy shop. So.

There are tons of shops that I DO like, that I have stumbled upon in my internetings, but I usually only stop by once, and then forget to bookmark, and then lose forever. They're usually all nerdy - either science nerdy or lit nerdy.

Currently, I love Megan Lee.

7. What is your favorite way to spend free time when you're not alone?

I think everyone knows this answer. It has to do with pages bound together and deciphering weird symbols that form words and escaping into other worlds.

8. What is your favorite junk food?

I... rarely eat junk food? My mother is a very healthy chef, and so, living at home, I eat what she makes. Perhaps... chips. Any kind.
Also, chocolate doesn't count as junk food because the chocolate available in our house is not crap. It's this:
  
Go try it. My family scorns the ill-quality of Hershey's.

9. Do you have a pet or pets? If so, what kind, and what are their names?

No pets in our house. We've had beta fish before, (and a dog when I was two!) but currently - nope.

10. What are your number one favorite nonfiction and fiction books?

For nonfiction it would probably have to be Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman by Richard P. Feynman. And for fiction, there's a tie: The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis and Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.

11. What is your favorite beauty product?

HA. Like I wear beauty products. I don't need products to make me beautiful.
No wait - I do have a favorite thing - it's called SLEEP. Why wake up early to do your makeup when you could just sleep another twenty minutes?
There's a reason why it's called Beauty Sleep.

12. When were you last embarrassed? What happened?

I get embarrassed a lot, but - as I mentioned before - I also forget a lot. With the embarrassment, it's generally a survival tactic - I have to forget the embarrassing situation so I don't spiral into a pit of embarrassment and fail at social interaction. So, because of my forgetting skills, I can be a very social person despite occasional embarrassments.
Short answer: I forgot.

13. If you could only drink one beverage (besides water) what would it be?

Hmm... I think I'll settle on lemonade.

14. What's your favorite movie?

Not answering this one, because I don't have ONE favorite movie. But a few that are up there on the list are The Princess Bride, Lord of the Rings, and The Intouchables (this last one is a foreign film and is SUPERB and HILARIOUS and.. just go see it.).

15. What were you in high school: prom queen, nerd, cheerleader, jock, valedictorian, band geek, loner, artist, prep?

What was I? I was Sophia, duh. Homeschoolers believe in individuality and not in boxing people into specific identities.

16. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

There are a few options here - and thankfully, I'm already living in one of them! Chicago is a magnificent city, and (in my opinion) the best city in the US. For multiple reasons - but that's for another day.

London would also be spectacular. I LOVE London. (For different reasons than why I love Chicago. But they are equal on my list.)

And frankly, I wouldn't mind living in Quebec City, either.

17. PC or Mac?

Currently (and historically), PC. But I don't have my own computer, so I'm totally open to getting a Mac. I tend to not take sides in these sort of things.

OH - give me advice on what laptop I should get. I'm looking into getting my OWN this December.

18. Last romantic gesture from a crush, date, boy/girlfriend, spouse?

HA. 

That is all I have to say.

19. Favorite celebrity?

Uhhh... let's go with Emma Watson. Because she's been really awesome lately.

20. What blogger friends do you secretly want to be best friends with?

I feel like this is the popular answer, but I really want to be friends with EVERYONE. I've made some spectacular blogger friends over this past year, and I WANT MORE. It's so wonderful. 

So - let's be friends and do awesome bookish friend things together!

Now, the important question: whom am I tagging?

Two special individuals:

Also, if you would like it - take it! It's free! Share the link with me in the comments!

Or, if you feel like just answering a few of the questions in the comments, that's cool too. OH and don't forget - PC or Mac? Which one should I get?

~Sophia

12 comments:

  1. Hi, this is actually my first time at your blog. I've been following links and I ended up here. :-) Great blog.

    On the question of Mac vs PC, it really depends on what you are going to use them for. I use as Macbook for my laptop and I have a PC desktop. I got the Macbook when I was in my first semester of college quite a few years ago. I was taking some graphic design and communications courses and the software was more geared towards a Mac. I love my Macbook and it does good with what I usually do.
    The PC I have for a desktop because I needed something with a bigger processor, memory, and hard drive. My Macbook is getting pretty old for computer standards (almost six years!) so it isn't exactly top of the line anymore. There are some programs it just can't run anymore and some features of OSX updates that don't work on it. I was looking into updating the Macbook and found that the PC was cheaper and would still do, mostly, what I need. Sure, there are programs I can only use on one or the other. I use both almost every day. My Macbook travels with me and the PC is basically my backup that can also run newer programs.
    I know you wouldn't have the "older" Macbook issue getting a new computer. It really will be up to you what features you want, what OS you are most comfortable with, and how much money you want to spend.
    Good Luck in your laptop search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found me! Hearty welcomes. I hope you stick around!

      Thank you so much for the computer advice! I'm probably just going to use it for school and writing - nothing too complicated. So it seems like I just might need to go with personal preference? Hm...

      Delete
  2. I'll take it with me, I just don't know yet when I'm finished.
    And my opinion is: PC. Apple's product are really cool, but the do not work well with other devices (though it isn't impossible) and I'd feel like depending too much of them. I'm advising a Windows 8 Tablet with a good battery and a big memory cell to anyone, but maybe you have got different wishes about you own Computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TAKE IT TAKE IT. Comment here again once you've written it!

      Oooh that's a good point, about the compatablility etc. I don't think I'd go so far as to get a tablet (I'm not exactly a tablet kind of person), but the fact that PC works with almost anything is definitely something to consider.

      Delete
  3. I love your answers. :) Homeschoolers unite! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a homeschooler, but I think it's totally cool. Regrettably homeschooling isn' t allowed in Germany. But about your answer: I agree, although I'd tell you that I'm some kind of a Freak. Because nobody could tell what I really am.

      Delete
    2. @Lois YAY! I'm excited to read yours. (You are doing it, aren't you? AREN'T YOU?)

      @Windsprite Aww that's so lame that it isn't allowed! But yeah - I think most people are Freaks, they just don't realize it :-P

      Delete
  4. Haha oh my gosh, I had a blast reading your answers girl. Your attitude aka awesomeness shown through like a boss. By the way, I wish I had your ability to forget embarrassing moments...I just hold on to them forever. Boo.

    Oh also--PC for me but I guess that might be because I'm the most familiar with it. Thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I had fun writing it :-)

      I'm also most familiar with PC, so that is sort of influencing my opinion. Hm...

      Delete
  5. YOU SHOULD SO GET A MAC. Trust me. They're fast and intelligent and soooo much better than PCs. ;)

    Oh, I would never ever survive in your house (although your family actually sounds similar to mine with the healthy food BUT excellent quality chocolate available...we love ours dark and bitter)...I would be like a Hobbit amongst you giants. My brother is 6ft and that's bad enough. My brother-in-law is like 6'2 or something and he's THE SHORTEST IN HIS FAMILY. Omg. I don't even want to guess how tall my nephew/nieces will be one day. They'll be giving me picky-backs before I know it. *nods* At least there's that to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OKAY OKAY. We shall see...

      Don't worry, we have step-stools (for me, when the rest of the family is not available). They are conveniently placed by the kitchen for easy chocolate-shelf access. :-)

      WHAT 6'2" is the shortest? That's crazy. Mountain people.

      Delete

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)