Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Character-Driven Stories

http://www.brokeandbookish.com/ 
As always, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!
(Covers link to Goodreads)

Today's topic is Top Ten Books for People Who Like Character Driven Novels. (Note: I like character driven novels, so a lot of my favorite books are on this list. I think that if you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know that excellent characterization makes a book top notch, in my opinion. I'll also be hopping around the linky MUCH more than usual. Gotta get some good recs!)
I'm sorry if this is just a list and not a list + description like a usually do - I'm a bit short on time today (foo, school).

1. The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater (Raven Boys, Dream Thieves, Blue Lily Lily Blue, and sadly unnamed #4) (my post)
 17675462

2. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (my posts)
23000569


3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (review to come soon!)
30597

4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (my post)
19063




5. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (my post)
11925514

6. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (I'm currently rereading this one!)
 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10210.Jane_Eyre?from_search=true

7. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
456908

8. The Golem and The Jinni by Helene Wecker (my post)
15819028

9. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
4671

10. Joan of Arc by Mark Twain
826706


















What are your favorite character driven novels? I need recs, people! 
Link me your TTTs in the comments! 

~Sophia

10 comments:

  1. So glad to see The Golem and the Jinni on this list. I love that book so much, and I feel like it doesn't get enough talk in the book blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! It definitely needs more recognition.

      Delete
  2. Great list! I haven't read some of those books so I might have to check them out. I didn't realize Mark Twain wrote a book about Joan of Arc!
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/10/top-ten-books-for-readers-who-like.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES he did! (And it's fantastic.) He worked 12 years on it - ten years researching and two years writing - and considered it his best work. Definitely check it out!

      Delete
  3. New follower! I completely agree about The Raven Boys and Code Name Verity. I didn't even think about either one of those when I made my list. Great choices!

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay welcome! The more the merrier :-)

      Oh there are so many fabulous books that could go on this list - I could go on for ages!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love The Secret Garden, which I think is quite character driven. The main character is completely not likeable at the beginning but she changes so drastically. And the landscapes and descriptions of the garden are so vivid too!

    I would also recommend any Jane Austen book as a character-driven novel, though especially Persuasion. (Actually, you can't go wrong with any of them!)

    Slightly different from the ones on your list, but Bridget Jones's Diary is also very character driven, since you're just inside her head the whole time. I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed it!

    Anyway! Really enjoyed your list and look forward to trying out some of the books you mentioned :)

    Rachel
    Dashing Good Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read The Secret Garden in quite some time (definitely needs a reread)! But oh how could I forget my darling Jane Austen! She definitely deserves a spot on this list. (And I adore Persuasion so much.) There are just so many excellent books - why only ten? :-(

      I haven't read Bridget Jones's Diary, but I have heard of it (of course). My mother saw the film and disliked it (we generally have similar tastes when it comes to movies), but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy the book! I'll check it out.

      Delete
  5. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a really fantastic choice for this list! I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it. I am with you in really preferring books that are character driven. I'm glad to see that some of the newer YA titles on here that are high up on my TBR (Golem and Djinni, Code Names Verity and the Raven Cycles) fall into this category!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES all those books that you mentioned are definitely some of my favorites from this past year. Especially Code Name Verity - that book just blows my mind.

      Delete

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)