Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater // More Maggie Magic


Summary

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.


At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.






This is my second experience with Maggie Stiefvater (the first being The Raven Cycle, which, though technically multiple books, I count as one adventure). 
Personally, I like the Raven Cycle better, but The Scorpio Races still has those clever touches of unique writing and description that make Maggie's work such a pleasure to read. The writing doesn't just roll along in the background - it pops in your face, a part of the reading experience, but not so obviously that you can't lose yourself in the book.

I love the world that Maggie created for the island of Thisbe. The people have their customs and their culture and their beliefs - it's a true community. As a writer, I always find it hard to inject my fictional civilizations with cultures and traditions, so I highly commend Maggie there.

And the characters - what can I say? I always love her characters. Everyone loves Puck and Sean, as do I, but personally, I like George Holly, the American. I find him very, very interesting - he's almost like an objective observer that gives Sean little bits of advice to steer him on the right track. He's doesn't appear to be an extremely clever guy when you first meet him, but then he turns out to be quite observant.
But really, every person on that island has a character, and I find that fantastic. 

And everyone squees at the romance at the end, and I will happily squee along with them.
The dual points of view were not at all hard to keep track of, happily, and I liked seeing it from both sides.

One thing that I'd like to point out is that it does start off a bit slow - which I don't mind. I'll take the fantabulous descriptions of people and things above a fast paced story anyday. But that's just me - if you want a plot that races along, just know that it definitely picks up after a bit. No fear!

Have you read The Scorpio Races? What about any other Maggie Stiefvater books - which is your favorite of hers?

~Sophia

4 comments:

  1. This was my first ever Stiefvater read!! I picked it up because it was a list on what-to-read-if-you-like-the-hunger-games (which absolutely fails me now....I mean, helllooooo?! The Scorpio Races is NOTHING like THG -_-). And thus began my Stiefvater obsession. HEHE. I love all her books! I really do love this one a lot, but I read it like 4 years ago or something, so my brain is a little hazy on the details of it. A reread is in order. For sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh yeah... not at all like THG. Maybe with weird competitions where there is possible death? But that's about it.
      Raven Boys started my obsession. And I became a fan literally TWO DAYS after she was in Chicago. Talk about bad timing, huh? :-/

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this yet, but I like that it sounds so different than the Raven Boys etc. Its on my list to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is EXTREMELY different from the Raven Cycle! That's one thing I love about Maggie Stiefvater - she's not defined by one style of genre of writing.

      Delete

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)