Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Let's Travel! (Through Bookworld)

http://www.brokeandbookish.com/ 
As always, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!

Today's topic is Top Ten Places Books Have Made Me Want to Visit (both fictional and real).
So... let's begin!

1. Middle Earth. I expect to see this on 99% of the lists I visit from the linkup. Let's have a book blogger field trip to Middle Earth!

(But seriously, wouldn't that be awesome? If we could have a big yearly trip with all the book bloggers to some fictional place. We could vote for the top location, and aaaahhh let me just pause in the unachievable beauty of it all....!)

2. Narnia. Again, an obvious one. But clearly impossible, even in the fictional sense, because (highlight for spoilers):it's destroyed in The Last Battle. And I like to stick to canon.

3. The 100 Acre Wood. From Winnie the Pooh. It must be gorgeous!

4. Ravka, from The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. Like Ukraine, except magical. Such perfection. (I also want to visit Ukraine, but not for literary reasons. So it's not on this list.)

5. Venice. Yes, yes, I've been there once before. But only for three days! So I must return. I haven't read about it in a particular book, but I am writing one myself, so technically, you can say that a book has made me want to (re)visit it!
(Hey, it'll be for research. Yes. My excuse.)

6. London. Also been there before. But desperately need to revisit again! 221B Baker St., the Globe Theater, even the little restaurant in Greenwich where Charles Dickens drafted Our Mutual Friend - London (and it's surroundings) are replete with literary history!
(Yes, I've been to all the above mentioned places. YES 221B YES I DO NOT LIE)

7. On a similar strain, England during the Middle Ages. When we were little book-obsessed hobbits, my sister and I would plot what we would do if we entered the story of Robin Hood. We had everything planned out, down to the common sense things (like bringing an extra pair of glasses because what if ours broke while we battled with the sherriff's men? Sadly there are no optometry shops in medieval England). We were very logically imaginative children.

8. Regency Era England. Clearly, I like England. (It is on the top of my list for potential study abroad experiences next year.) Imagine how much fun it would be, going to all those balls with the Bennets and the Dashwoods and all their friends. Though... quiet and nice as I am, I might get frustrated by all the unspoken rules and implied connotations that seem to cause all the problems Jane Austen's books... Also, I am not very witty, when you put me on the spot. And all the nice people in Austen seem to hang out with the nice witty people. So darn.

9. Okay, I'm going to cheat here, and say Jasper Fforde's Bookworld. Which (if you haven't read his Thursday Next series) is basically the world of every single book that's ever been written. It's where books happen when you're reading them. It's kind of hard to explain, so you should just go off and read The Eyre Affair and eveything beyond it. So go.

There is no 10 because right now the one place I want to really go is BED. I am drowsing off at my desk.
This is what college does to you, people!

Where have books made you want to travel?

~Sophia

13 comments:

  1. I love your choices! Robin Hood is a favorite of mine too. :) And yes! Middle Earth all the way! Take me with you!!!! ;)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/10/top-ten-places-books-have-made-me-want.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know as soon as I discover how to physically enter into stories. :-)

      Delete
    2. Good plan! ;)
      Just so you know, I tagged you in The Ultimate Book tag on my blog. You can go to this link to check it out. :)
      http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/10/ultimate-book-tag.html

      Delete
    3. OH why thank you! Such an honor :-)

      Delete
  2. Great list! I forgot the 100 Acre Wood on mine but I always wanted to go there... And Narnia!! How could I forget that too! Oh well :P I hope you get your wish of coming to London... What's the name of the Dickens place? I only live an hour or two from London so I could definitely justify going there this weekend right?

    Rachel
    My Top Ten Tuesdays post for today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to London twice (once as a 6month old) but I'd always love to return! The Dickens place is The Trafalgar Tavern... and a correction: I looked it up and the true story is that he based the wedding scene location in Our Mutual Friend off of a room at that tavern. But he ate there frequently too!

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to go to fantasy medieval times, seems pretty interesting. Like in The Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan and Wereworld by Curtis Jobling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought the list was excellent!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Matthew! I've never read any of those books, but I will check them out!

      Delete
  4. Nice article, and an easy question. One book jumps up in my mind and screams "pick me, pick me." Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt which is set in Savannah, Georgia (USA). It also became a fantastic movie. The sad thing is that I've never been there, despite the fact that it's much closer to where I live than middle earth is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've never read it! I'll definitely check it out.

      Delete
  5. I need so desprately to go to ALL of Europe. London, Paris, Venice.... (omg, you went there?! SO LUCKY). We could always go to New Zealand and just pretend. Can't you stay in Hobbiton or something? Because I won't lie...that would be fabulous. As long as I could stand up inside. And I probably could because I'm woefully short. -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESS I went there. Be jealous. (Though not Paris. Only London and Italy.)
      New Zealand needs to be on my list! I would love to go see Hobbiton (though it would probably cost loads of money). My family would be so outrageously out of place - we'd be bumping our heads on chandeliers like Gandalf. :-P

      Delete

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)