Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Hyped Books I Haven't Read Yet!


Top Ten Tuesday is a feature hosted by the fantastic people over at The Broke and The Bookish! Covers link to Goodreads.

Today's topic is: Really really hyped books that I haven't read yet.
Now, this list could stretch a mile long because I am slow in catching up on all the books that I missed during my non YA reading years where 90% of the books I read were written by people who are dead by now.*

*This period of classics-inundation has taken up 89.47% of my life so far. That only leaves me with 10.53% of my life to have caught up on all the live authors. Cut me some slack.

SO. I'm going to try to focus on more recent releases (as in, last two/three years). And I promise, most of these are on my TBR.

I confess, some of these I don't have the slightest idea what they're about, even though I feel like people have been talking about all of these for AGES.

Also, I don't know if these were necessarily "hyped." They're just big name titles that get thrown around the YA-verse a lot.

Anyway

I blather too much

Let us begin


21480930
1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Apparently this one is really intense and mysterious and suspenseful and thrilling.


Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1)
2. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

My sister started reading this at one point (she borrowed it from a friend and only had a chance to read the first chapter). She said it was good and intriguing. It looks good and intriguing. I have no idea what it's about other than creepy children, which you can guess from looking at the cover.


13455782
3. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

I also have literally no clue what this one is about. Is it fantasy? Dystopia? Is it even magical? I sometimes just decide I'm too good to read GoodReads blurbs.


11408650
4. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Again - drowning girls? Maybe? Is that what it's about? *shrugs*


To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
5. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
Now this one I've actually read the blurb for and vaguely know its premise. (Applaud me, people.) And it actually sounds super interesting! I wants it.


6442769
6. Paper Towns by John Green
Frankly, I've not read anything by John Green other than TFIOS, which I thought was okay. (No pun intended, I promise.) Everyone says I should give him another chance. The Paper Towns movie is coming out, and everyone's in a tizzy about it, but I might skip it and try Looking For Alaska, since that seems to be the general favorite among John Green fans.


6186357
7. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
I feel like I might be over it before I've even read it. But I should give it a chance, no?


10763598
8. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Huzzah and confetti, I got this book from the library last week and it sits on my shelf waiting to be read! Again - no clue what it's about. But I know Laini Taylor has pink hair, so that is a point in this book's favor.


16101128
9. The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey
EVERYONE says this is a great apocalyptic thing. I haven't read any apocalyptic books so I may have to pick this one up...?


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling
I knew I had to put this one on here. Don't get mad at me. I've read all the other ones! (Sometimes saying "I've read all the other ones!" somehow makes people madder.) *hides*

Which hyped books have you not yet read? Which on my list should I read next? (Other than Daughter of Smoke and Bone because I have that one on my shelf, so it has a pretty good chance of being my next read.) Do you think any of these were overhyped? Or which ones earned their good name? 

22 comments:

  1. Most of the time, I feel hyped up books hardly live up to my expectations (see TFIOS & Divergent for that; we've got mutual feelings about John Green).

    But there are still some surprises. I thought the Maze Runner was a decent book (just don't read the second one expecting the same rush. huge letdown. though I'm going to try book three still). Daughter of Smoke & Bone was glorious. But it's urban fantasy, so of course I love it :) I'd definitely give it a try.

    & don't worry I didn't read ANY Harry Potter books until I was almost 20, so ??? I think they're good, I just feel I missed something. Just read Deathly Hallows if only to finish the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha urban fantasy! I just started Daughter of Smoke and Bone yesterday and it's superb so far.

      I liked HP a lot, it's just I like a lot of books a lot. I'm planning on rereading them all before finally finishing the last book.

      Delete
  2. Gone Girl was really good! I highly recommend it. If you end up liking it (or want something along the same lines) check out The Girl On The Train, if you haven't already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes The Girl On The Train is definitely on my TBR! I'm hoping to try both, since I haven't read a thriller type story in a while.

      Delete
  3. I've only read two of these (Harry Potter was good, Shatter Me less so) and so I can see that there is some big overlap of what we haven't read. However, if you do ever read these, I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I enjoy them too! :-) Too bad Shatter Me didn't live up to expectations.

      Delete
  4. Um but finiSH HARRY POTTER-- OK OK I'm not getting mad, I promise! XD

    I've read none of these but #10. I really need to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone, though. Everyone loves it so much. --oh, wait, I have read another of these: The Maze Runner. I enjoyed it, though by the time the second one came out I'd forgotten all the plot so I didn't read it. You wouldn't have that problem now, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I PROMISE. Before this winter, I will read all of Harry Potter. :-)

      I'm reading DoSaB right now, and it's kinda fantastic!

      Delete
  5. OMG i was in the same boat for forever. Hadn't really gotten into ya until about three years ago. Paper Towns is my favorite John Green book, and I DNF Maze Runner. Couldn't get past the first two chapters. I tried three times. Kept falling asleep. Don't know what's wrong with me a;lsdjf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww too bad about Maze Runner. I keep going back and forth about whether or not I should give it a shot!

      Delete
  6. Gone Girl was honestly one of the best books I've ever read, it was brilliant! I promise it won't disappoint :-) Out of all of these that is the one I would recommend hundred percent :-) Here's my TTT if you would like to check it out :D Have a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I've got your 100% backing! I'm excited to read them all.

      Delete
  7. I'VE READ 5 OF THESE. WHOOOOT GO ME. Ahem. But I saw the Gone Girl movie and, um, I'm still scared. (*whispers* There's a sort of YA version called Dangerous Girls which is sooooo good. Have you read it?) AGh. But I spent my when-you-should-be-reading-YA years not reading YA. 0_0 I read very old books, lots of newberry awards and childrens classics. Seriously I didn't leave middle-grade books until I was like 16! CHILDHOOD FOREVER! HUZZAH! (I am such a sad little lobster.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOOOOOT.
      I have not read Dangerous Girls but it's totally on my TBR.
      YES CHILDRENS CLASSICS WIN. It's like C.S. Lewis said - a good children's book can be enjoyed by anyone. (well, that's my paraphrase, obvs.) So no, you are not a sad little lobster. You have C.S. Lewis approval.

      Delete
  8. I've only read HP and The Maze Runner off this list. HP was great; The Maze Runner was a 3-star read for me--pretty good, but nothing special. I'm not a huge fan of John Green after TFIOS, but I'm looking forward to Daughter of Smoke and Bone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter of Smoke and Bone was epic! I'm on book 2 now and I highly recommend them!

      Delete
  9. I've never read Harry Potter! A fact, that if spoken aloud in certain bookish circles of society, would get me kicked out of Barnes and Noble. The truth is, being reared on classical literature, I've become rather afraid of books published only in the last ten years that are accompanied by HUGE amounts of hype.
    I've seen all of these books floating around the 'net and I am getting ready to add them to my already giant TBR.
    Good luck with all the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are, surprisingly, lots of very bookish people, who read classics, YA, or both, and who have never read HP. So you are not alone.
      But I agree with you so much. The reason why I read classics for most of my life - only classics - is because I don't want to waste time on bad books, and classics are a good bet for a successful endeavor. They've been approved by the ages.

      Delete
  10. I read Gone Girl last summer while on holiday and I was glued to the page. I opted out of a tourist visit just to finish the book. I just had to know what was happening!

    I'm not mad, but curious. How can you not have read the last HP? I remember that I tried to read it the same day it was out because, again, I just needed to know how it all ended. (Sensing a trend there.) I'm marveled at your self-restraint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that isn't a huge recommender, I don't know what is. I'm definitely going to push Gone Girl to a top space on my TBR now!

      So, it's kind of a long story, but basically, I was devouring them all at 13, and my mother said I needed a break for a bit. Then I devoured all of Austen's books, and afterward returned to HP6. Which kind of depressed me, after that ending, so I took a break again. And kind of... never... returned...? I'm just an absentminded reader, and read whatever is available.

      So frankly, no good reason why I haven't read HP7. This will be rectified shortly.

      Delete
  11. I really liked Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children; the addition of the weird photos is really different.

    I thought The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was over-hyped. I didn't like it. It was pretty much the standard YA paranormal with predictable characters and a boring plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH IT HAS WEIRD PHOTOS. I'm super excited now. I love multimedia books!

      Delete

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)