Saturday, August 3, 2013

Les Miz Part 3: Marius

Marius is, in short, a stalker.
But he is an awesome stalker.
He is on my list of Literary Crushes. :-)

Lynd Ward's sketch

One part that they didn't include in Les Miz show or Movie is the letter that Marius leaves under a rock in Cosette's garden. (I understand that this would be hard to do... still, it's one of my favorite parts in the book.) The letter is a collection of epigrams he wrote to her when he still didn't know where she lived. This chapter (The Idyll of the Rue Plumet, Book V, Chapter 4: "A Heart Beneath A Stone) is the most romantic chapter I have ever read. Seriously. Here are some of the best:

"The reduction of the unverse to a single being, the dilation of a single being as far as God, such is love."
"The soul only needs to see a smile in a white crepe bonnet in order to enter the palace of dreams."
"Separated lovers cheat absence by the thousand chimerical things, which, however, have their reality. They are prevented seeing each other, and they cannot write, but they find a number of mysterious ways to correspond. They send to each other the song of the birds, the light of the sun, the sighs of the breeze, the rays of the stars, and the whole creation; and why should they not? All the works of God are made to serve love. Love is sufficiently powerful to interest all nature with its messages."
"O spring, though art a letter which I write to her." 
 "You gaze at a star for two motives, because it is luminous and because it is impenetrable. You have by your side a sweeter radiance and greater mystery - woman."
"If you are a stone, be a magnet; if you are a plant, be sensitive; if you are a man, be love."
"What a gloomy thing it is not to know where to find one's soul!"
"I have met in the street a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat worn, his coat was out at the elbows, the water passed though his shoes, and the stars through his soul."
"If there were nobody who loved, the sun would be extinguished." 

There are so many more. So many wonderful letters.
After such spectacular writing, I think I'm just going to leave it at that.
There might be a Part 4 coming if I think of anything else to say.

~Sophia

Here is Les Miz Part 1: Introduction
Here is Les Miz Part 2: Javert

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)