Monday, August 19, 2013

Challenge Day 2: Bedtime Reading Ritual

15 Day Book Blogger Challenge | Good Books And Good Wine
What's your bedtime reading ritual?

I'm still dependent on my parents for things like food, clothing, and housing. So I better do what they tell me. And when my mom says it's lights out, it's lights out.
And reading under the covers suffocates me.
And bugs my sister, because we share a room.

So most of the time, I don't read in bed, or have a bedtime reading ritual.
I end up getting ready for bed, then turning off the lights and falling asleep.
But for those times that I do read in bed, it goes like this:

- Rush rush through the tooth brushing because I know there's a book waiting for me on my bed! And if I finish before my sister, I might have some time to read before she turns the light off!
-Crawl in with my book and read a couple chapters.
-Sister comes in and gets in her bed. "Turn the light out, Sophia!"
-Me: "Let me finish the chapter!" (I get teased for saying this by my family all the time. My dad says I should have a t-shirt with this on it.)
-Sister: Either, "Ok, just the chapter," or "Just turn the light off already!"
-I finish the chapter under or over the covers, depending on my sister's leniency.
-I turn the light off, if it isn't off already.
-I attempt to read more than the one chapter under the covers with a little booklight (that usually is really dim because I forgot to recharge it).
-I persist through as much sweaty suffering as I can, and then emerge, plop the book down on the floor, and turn my booklight off.
-If she's up for it, I chat with my sister for an hour in the dark.
-I spend another hour in the dark thinking about the book, this blog, upcoming parties, plots for novels, and various other exciting parts of my life, before finally drifting off to sleep.

So there you have it. My (not so) elegant reading ritual.

~Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)