Saturday, September 20, 2014

Scarlet; Cress by Marissa Meyer // Also, Character Quizzes can be Lame

You may remember that a while ago I did a combined post on Siege and Storm and Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo.

I thought I'd do one on Scarlet and Cress as well!



First off: my most favorite thing about these two books (and this series as a whole) has to do with - predictably for me - characters. I love the idea of a new main character per book. That way, the books are distinct, yet connected - and I can keep track of them better in my own head. Too often, the books of a series blur in my mind, and I won't be able to tell you which book a certain scene happened in. (Some prime examples: The Hunger Games, Divergent, and even The Grisha Trilogy a bit - though that last one has a three books, three amplifiers thing going that helps.)

But with the Lunar Chronicles, I'm able to associate a book to a character, and so I remember the details of the story better. It's fantastic!

Continuing on with character-awesomeness: all three characters so far have been strong women with distinct and individual characteristics - and none of them fell into the trap of becoming Strong Female Leads. We have defined characters that are all the heroines of their own stories. Can I tell you how much I ADORE this? SO MUCH LOVE.

On a side note - out of the three girls, I think Cinder is the most similar to me. (Though there might be a drop of Cress in there too.) I wonder if there's a quiz for this. :-)
Update: Of course there are quizzes for this. According to one I'm Cinder. According to another I'm Thorne. Which is just SO WRONG on so many levels. I give up - these quizzes are all superficial.
"What color is your hair?" Seriously?
Also, as different as the (so-far) three main ladies are from each other, their love interests are just as different. The characters in this book are so distinct and unique.

I'm so excited to see what happens with Winter, the fourth and final book in the series. We've had a glimpse of Winter's character, but so far she seems defined by her oddities and quirks. I'm looking forward to seeing how she develops!

Gosh, I haven't even talked about the science and stuff. The fact that Cress is a programmer makes me super happy for some reason. I love that she is so skilled.

Have you read the Lunar Chronicles? What did you think? And - just for fun - which character do you think you are most similar to?

~Sophia

PS I also found the perfect magazine for Wolf (a character from the series). You'd get it if you've read the books:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)