Saturday, November 15, 2014

Bookish Questions - Classics Club Style! (Part 1)




The Classics Club wrote up a nice little questionnaire, so I thought I'd try it out! I'm splitting this into two posts, because there are FIFTY questions.

1. Share a link to your club list.

Here ya go!

2. When did you join the Classics Club? How many titles have you read for the club? (We are SO CHECKING UP ON YOU! Nah. We're just asking.) :)

I believe I started it sometime in October 2013. And I've read seven and a half. (The Bible is the half. I'm hoping to finish it next March.) I'd like to read at least two more before the year is up.

3. What are you currently reading?

...nothing. I'm writing NaNoWriMo! But I'm lingering around in Chretien's Arthurian Romances, which is not on my CC list. But is a classic, I suppose. Oh well.

 4. What did you just finish reading and what did you think of it?

I just finished reading Jane Eyre, if October 22nd counts as "just finished." But really, I haven't read anything since then. NaNo's been taking up my time.

Jane Eyre was a reread. I loved it as much as I loved it the first two times I read it, and will be posting a review on it a week from today, fingers crossed. Time seems to slip away, and I write reviews a month after I've read the book. Oh well.

5. What are you reading next? Why? 

Next, I'd like to read The Once and Future King by T. H. White. Again, not on my CC list, but it IS a part of the Arthurian Literature challenge I'm doing this year.

6. Best book you've read so far with the club, and why?

UGH This is not a fair question. But I'm going to go with Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. However, best non-reread was The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo.
Because reasons. I ramble too much to explain it here - just read the linked posts. 

7. Book you most anticipate (or, anticipated) on your club list?

I am utterly looking forward to To Kill a Mockingbird because I feel like I'm the only person in the world who hasn't read it.

8. Book on your club list you've been avoiding, if any? Why?

None in theory, but I'm not exactly jumping to read Ben Hur or The White Company. Both I've tried when I was younger, and both I've found too much to handle. Hopefully they'll be better this time through, with a more mature Sophia.

9. First classic you ever read?

Come on, I grew up on classics! They were my baby food. But I think I will direct you to The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Does that count as a classic? If not, there's always E. Nesbit, The Chronicles of Narnia, Astred Lindgren... take your pick!

10. Toughest classic you ever read?

Moby Dick, hands down. I've read some tough ones, but Moby Dick is the only one that I didn't feel was justified in its toughness. (Examples of ones that ARE justified include Les Miserables and War and Peace.)


11. Classic that inspired you? or scared you? made you cry? made you angry? 

Is this like four questions in one? What's up with that?

But let's go with Les Miz. Because that book has EVERYTHING.

12. Longest classic you've read? Longest classic left on your club list?

BAH do you think I count pages or something?

My guess is that Les Miz is the longest one I've read. As for on my list - how should I know? I don't know sizes of the top of my head. I thought Hunchback was Les Miz sized and then I get it from the library and see that it's about as thick as The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. See - bad judge of book thickness here.

13. Oldest classic you've read? Oldest classic left on your club list?

You are really asking me to go back into the annals of my mind. I don't remember which books I've read just off the top of my head. AH but wait - I'd say The Mabinogion was the oldest. HA.

And on the list, I'd say my two Shakespeares are the oldest.

14. Favorite biography about a classic author you've read - or the biography on a classic author you most want to read, if any?

Hmm... I don't read many nonfictioney things. But I'm kinda interested in Wilkie Collins. My copy of A Woman in White had a little bio on him and he sounded pretty cool.

15. Which classic do you think EVERYONE should read? Why?

Les Miz. Because it has something for everyone - history, romance, adventure, mystery, religion, philosophy, war. Hey, even if you're interested in the study of slang or the sewers of Paris, Les Miz has got you covered!

16. Favorite edition of a classic you own, if any?

I really like my copy of Les Miz. (This buddy is showing up here a lot, isn't it? Well - it's tied with Narnia for favorite book. So it deserves numerous mentions.)

It's a gorgeous heritage edition that my mother says used to have a box, but we lost it. (It's actually my mother's, but she never reads it, so I claimed it as my own.)

17. Favorite movie adaptation of a classic?

Does Lord of the Rings count as a classic? Yes? Then there ya go.
But Rebecca is a runner up.

18. Classic which hasn't been adapted yet (that you know of) which you very much wish would be adapted to film. 

The Space Trilogy by C. S. Lewis. But adapted well, of course. Not some weird cheap sci-fi. It has to be the good stuff.

19. Least favorite classic? Why?

Moby Dick. Because it's too nonfictioney. You can read my post on it here

20. Name five authors you haven't read yet whom you cannot wait to read.

(I'm assuming you mean classic authors?)

Willa Cather
John Steinbeck
Oscar Wilde (though I have seen Importance of Being Earnest - twice. Does that count?)
Miguel de Cervantes
Anne Bronte (I've read her sisters, but I've never read her!)

21. Which title by one of the five you've listed above most excites you and why?

Don Quixote by Cervantes. I've danced the ballet Don Quixote, I've sung the musical Man of La Mancha - and yet I've never read the actual book. Shame on me.

22. Have you read a classic you disliked on first read that you tried again and respected, appreciated, or even ended up loving? (This could be with the club or before it.)

See, I rarely dislike classics. And if I dislike something, I consider it to be a waste of time (I read for enjoyment after all) and thus probably won't reread it. So, no.

23. Which classic character can't you get out of your head?

It varies, but currently it's Frollo from Hunchback of Notre Dame, because I'm working on my own villain da Vale, and they have certain similarities. Also - Edmond Dantes from Count of Monte Cristo, for the same reason.

24. Which classic character most reminds you of yourself?

Elinor Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility. Yup.

25. Which classic character do you most wish you could be like?

Oh, Jane Eyre.

That's all for this round, but tomorrow I'll have the second half up for your enjoyment!

Are you a part of the Classics Club? (If not, and you're interested, check it out!) If you did the questionnaire, link it to me... Oh, and tell me your favorite classic book!

~Sophia

5 comments:

  1. I didn't think of the Space Trilogy when I was writing the answers to my questions but yes that be super cool! Well done though of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I can find some time today to write up the second half of this :-)

      Delete
  2. I sort of want to read Les Mis, but man!, that book is huge! I suppose at some point I'll have to man-up and try it.

    As for my favorite classic, it's To Kill a Mockingbird. I was assigned that book last year for school and it was the best homework ever! I'm still just as in love with it now as I was when I first read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read Les Miz. DO IT. You will not regret it. :-)

      OH I still have to read To Kill a Mockingbird, but it's on my CC list! I'm really looking forward to it - I've heard SO much good stuff.

      Delete
  3. I'm doing a chapter a day year-long readalong of Les Mis this year which has been a fabulous experience - I've never read it, or seen any stage, tv or movie versions of it, so it's all new to me. I was thrilled to see it getting so much of your love here :-)

    ReplyDelete

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)