Welcome to my first ever Beautiful People post! Beautiful People is a monthly feature for writers hosted at both the Notebooks Sisters and Further Up and Further In. Its goal is to help us get to know our own characters better. You can read more about it at either of those wonderful blogs.
My first character is my main character from my July Camp NaNoWriMo. Clearly this yet-untitled novel is going to be set in Venice, but other than setting I really have very little to go off of as yet. So some of my answers may be vague, and I may feature Zaneta in another Beautiful People post once I figure out a bit more about her and actually give her a plot.
But for now, here goes!
1) What is their full name and is there a story behind why they got it?
Her name is Zaneta Soranzo. She is named after her paternal grandmother, Giovanna Soranzo, but everyone just calls her Zaneta. (Giovanna -> Gianeta -> Zaneta)
Also, the Soranzi are known through Venice as superior maskmakers. (Not really. Just for the story.)
(Why did I choose these names for her? No particular reason. I googled Venetian names and found some awesome databases, and then put them together because I liked how they sounded.)
2) How old are they, and when were they born?
Zaneta is somewhere between 17 and 20, and she was born sometime in the mid 18th century.
But most importantly, she was born during Carnevale, the day of the Doge's Grand Ball.
3) Describe their physical appearance. (Bonus questions: 1. What is their race/nationality/ethnicity? 2. Do you have a picture of them? If so, include it!)
Willowy stature and moderately tall, with long, thick, wavy brown hair, and large green eyes. A delicate nose and high cheekbones. A small, cherry mouth, with a fantastically charming smile. Long dexterous fingers (occasionally with dirty nails). Can do a lot of intricate handiwork, but is rather clumsy otherwise.
Bonus question 1. Why, Venetian, of course, and proud of it! The Soranzi family goes a long way back.
Bonus question 2. Sorry, no picture yet.
4) Describe your character's personality first in one word, and then elaborate with a few sentences.
(This one was hard.)
Whimsical. That word has a certain innocent and pure quality, and Zaneta definitely is both to a certain extent, but there's also a hint of secrets and mystery. Zaneta loves discovering mysteries and also has some of her own.
5) What theme song(s) fit their personality and story arc?
(BUT DON'T THINK ABOUT THE TITLE. Ignore the title of the piece. Or the random weird picture of the redhead and the naked slenderman. Click play and close your eyes and just listen to the music. That is Zaneta, and her story. (Especially the beginning.))
6) Which one of the seven deadly sins describes your character?
7) If they were an element (fire, water, earth, air), which one would they be?
8) What is their favorite word?
Mask. Maskmaking is in her blood.
9) Who's one person they really miss? (It could be someone who's passed away, or someone they're not close to anymore, or someone who's moved away.)
Her father, Bartolomeo Soranzo. He died a few years ago, and she took over his maskmaking business.
10) What sights, sounds, and smells remind them of that person?
His maskmaking tools that she inherited, his final unfinished mask hanging on the wall.
Well, that was fun! If you're a writer, consider doing one of your own.