Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Bible Project: Week 24 (1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees)

(It's actually week 25 - I'm a bit behind...)
Also, both books of Maccabees are only in the Catholic Bible and not in Protestant versions. If you want to read them, here they are.






1 Maccabees is a lot about wars and treaties (wars are old, but treaties are something we haven't heard of a lot so far). There are a lot of copies of treaty documents. And the lesson learned is: Don't trust people named Demetrius. They don't stick to their promises, even if they are written in a treaty. (There are two King Demetrii in 1 Macc, father and son.)
The Romans, on the other hand, are pretty awesome allies.

My favorite quote from 1 Maccabees is the following:

"They made the elephants drunk on grape and mulberry wine to provoke them to fight." (1 Macc 6:34)

Now there are some fine military tactics!






I'm going to admit that 2 Maccabees made me a bit bored, and I may have had trouble focusing while reading. Just maybe.

It's less focused on the treaties than 1 Maccabees, and a bit more focused on how God saves his people. There's also one of the earliest models of martyrdom (2 Macc 7), and a huge focus on gruesome deeds. Not very pretty.

Sorry, not much today. The Wisdom books are next, so I'm hoping those are a bit more interesting.

~Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)