Friday, July 25, 2014

Camp NaNo Update #2

Camp NaNoWriMo

So far, my wordcount goal has gone down twice.
First, to 40,000. Then, just yesterday, to 35,000.
Because technically we can validate now, I can't lower it anymore.
So 35k it is.

My current wordcount is 22,408, and to reach 35k, I must write 1800 words today and for the next 6 days. I think that's achievable, especially with the weekend coming up.

Since my last update, I have learned one important thing about me as a writer.
I am not a plotter. My stories ALWAYS work better when they are character-based.
This is why I came to a huge screeching halt at around the middle of Week 2 - my characters clammed up and wouldn't talk to me. So I freaked and started plotting feverishly, to no avail.

I think this is my one problem with NaNo. Because it demands that we churn out words, we don't really have time getting to know our characters. I can't pause and say - today, I'm going to explore Besina - because I have to write my 2,000 words.

Anyway, it's good to know that not being a plotter is A-OKAY. I always seem to think too much when I plot.

That's all for now. Off to write my 1800 words!

If you're participating, how's Camp treating you? 
If you're a writer, are you plot-based or more character-based?
And if you fall into neither of the above categories - how's your summer going so far?

~Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)