Monday, April 7, 2014

It's National Poetry Month!

Hey everyone! Did you know that April was National Poetry Month?
Here's a summary of what it is (thanks to poets.com):
Inaugurated by the Academy of American Poets in 1996, National Poetry Month is now held every April, when schools, publishers, libraries, booksellers, and poets throughout the United States band together to celebrate poetry and its vital place in American culture. Thousands of organizations participate through readings, festivals, books displays, workshops, and other events.
 So what am I going to to do for National Poetry Month? Well, I'm not as big a reader of poetry as I am a reader of fiction, so I'm going to use this month to explore poetry in more depth than I usually do. Here's a smattering of what you can look forward to in the next couple weeks.
  • Sonnets! Shakespearean, Italian, and Spenserian
  • Nonsense poetry - because it's awesome. 
  • And much more that I will think up over the course of the month!
ALSO, I am starting a cumulative poem HERE. Go ahead and contribute a line - I'll post the complete poem on May 1st!

Some questions for you:
Who's your favorite poet?
What's your favorite type/era/style of poetry?

Let me know in the comments!

~Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)