Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Echophonesis!

Weird Literary Terms Part 3

My sister said that Echophonesis was her favorite Literary Term, so I thought I would do a quick post on it.
It's not really used nowadays. I first discovered it in Shakespeare. It is the expression "O!"

"O!" may look like "Oh!" but they are not the same (at least when reading them out loud).
"Oh!" is pronounced exactly how you would think. "Oh!"
When you see "O!" however, it means you have the freedom to make whatever sound you want:
"Oooooohhhh..."
"Sheesh."
"HAHAHAHAHA!"
"GAH!"
"Uuuugghhh..."
"Woooooooooooo...."

Take your pick :-)

"...the rest is silence./ O! O! O! O!" 
~Hamlet's last words (Hamlet 5.2.395-6)
(Note: These last O!'s are often omitted by editors, as they are just an indication for the actor to make sounds appropriate to dying.)

Hamlet's death
 ~Sophia

Do any of you know of any weird literary terms? Let me know in the comments and I'll do a post on them!

2 comments:

  1. When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is
    added I get four e-mails with the same comment. Is there
    any way you can remove me from that service? Bless you!


    Stop by my weblog ... Minecraft 1.5 Gameplay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I don't think I can do that. Try going through your profile settings.

    ReplyDelete

Book discussions make the world a better place! Write me a comment - I respond to each and every one, I promise. So check back!

(YES! I LOVE TAGS and I do them! So tag away! But no bloggerly awards, though, like the Liebster or the Sisterhood of World Bloggers. Thank you!)